- Wipes and Disinfectants - The Significance of Appropriate Pairing for Proper Environmental Surface Decontamination
- Ahmadpour, F.,Van Den Berg, S., Saini, S., Kenny, N.
Excerpt: “Proper pairing between wipe substrates and disinfectants is crucial to maximize surface decontamination. Various factors, such as the substrate material, manufacturing process and disinfectant chemistry can impact the ability of a disinfectant to work on a surface; an incompatible pairing often has a major negative impact on surface decontamination."
- Battling Bacterial Biofilms: AHP as an effective replacement for Chlorine-Based Disinfectants (1.1 MB)
- F. Ahmadpour, H.BSc. IB, N.Omidbakhsh, Ph.D, P.Eng., N. Kenny, H.BSc. Assoc. Chem.
Excerpt: “Using the MBEC method, both AHP® and hypochlorite showed to be equally effective against bacterial biofilms.”
- Is a Wipe a Wipe? Implications of various wipe substrate materials on proper disinfection of surfaces using commonly used disinfectant chemistries (1.18 MB)
- F. Ahmadpour, H.BSc. IB, N.Omidbakhsh, Ph.D, P.Eng., N. Kenny, H.BSc. Assoc. Chem. & S. Saini
Excerpt: “The objective of this study was to evaluate the interaction between wipe substrates and commonly used disinfectant chemistries and the subsequent impact on saturation load and drying contact time.”
- Green and Safe Disinfectants, can these terms really coexist?
- N. Omidbakhsh*, Ph.D, P.Eng.; F. Ahmadpour, H.BSc. IB; N. Kenny, BSc.
Excerpt: “Disinfectant products are widely used in Healthcare settings. It is a common belief that these products are somewhat toxic to the user due to their toxicity against microorganisms. The objective of this study was to propose that this notion is not necessarily true, and showcase new technologies that are able to achieve disinfection without harm to the user or the environment.”
Going Green and Staying Clean: Using Accelerated Hydrogen Peroxide as a Disinfectant in Rodent Facilities (1.18 MB)
Kathleen M. McDonald, BS, CMAR, RLATG; Ma ew Mihalik, ALAT; Lindsay Bihler, MBA, RLATG
- The Use of ATP Bioluminometers and Their Reliability in Assessing Surface Disinfection in Healthcare Applications (737 KB)
- N.Omidbakhsh, Ph.D, P.Eng.; F. Ahmadpour, H.BSc.
Excerpt:“results suggest that ATP meters cannot be relied upon to evaluate the disinfection of a healthcare surface, since they have limitations in detecting the true count of organisms on the surface, which can cause false confidence. Furthermore the cleaning/disinfecting chemistry residues can have a very adverse impact on ATP readings, which can once again lead to increased false confidence.”
- Assessment of the Knowledge and the Predictors of Behaviour in Patient Service Assistants (PSAs) Regarding Environmental Cleaning in a Pediatric Hospital (1.03 MB)
- Anne Matlow MD, Rick Wray MN (c), Susan Richardson MD
Excerpt:“PSAs varied in knowledge about their job and in tattitudes and perceived control over their work. An education campaign targeting misconceptions, attitudes and beliefs may impact on their ultimate cleaning behaviour.”
- Broad-Spectrum Microbicidal Activity, Toxicological Assessment And Materials Compatibility Of A New Generation Of Accelerated Hydrogen Peroxide (AHP)-Based Environmental Surface Disinfectant (252 KB)
- N.Omidbakhsh, B.SC, Virox Technologies Inc.
- A high-level disinfectant based on accelerated hydrogen peroxide: evaluation of microbicidal activity, human and environmental safety and materials compatibility (95 KB)
- N.Omidbakhsh, B.SC, Virox Technologies Inc.
- The Assessment of the Sporicidal Activity of Selected Environmental Surface Disinfectants Using Spores of Clostridium difficile (296 KB)
- N.Omidbakhsh, Ph.D. Candidate, P.Eng. Virox Technologies, Inc.
The emergence of the NAPI strain of Clostridium difficile (C. diff), an anaerobic spore-former, as a major nosocomial pathogen, points to the need for safe, effective and fast-acting environmental sporicides for infection control. Existing formulations which are effective in inactivating such spores in a short contact time of only a few minutes can be corrosive and unsafe for humans and the environment. The purpose of this study is to evaluate the sporicidal activity of selected formulations at
Excerpt:“4.5% AHP sporicidal gel, a formulation especially designed for application on toilet bowls for longer dwell times, proved to be a good sporicide in a contact time of 10 min at room temperature. Its gel formulation allows it remain wet for the 10 min required contact time even on inclined surfaces, and its surfactant package prevents beading (hydrophobicity) on the surface, which provides better wetting or contact to the surface being disinfected.”
- A Novel Hydrogen Peroxide-Based Antimicrobial Handwash (230 KB)
- N.Omidbakhsh, Ph.D. Candidate Virox Technologies, Inc.
Nosocomial infections are a serious problem in healthcare facilities and poor hand hygiene has been determined to be a major factor in causing and spreading such infections. The objective of this study is to introduce a new handwash antimicrobial solution based on the Accelerated Hydrogen Peroxide (AHP) technology.
Excerpt:“It is very important for an antimicrobial hand wash to have a fair balance between its microbial activity, safety and skin mildness. Although legacy products lack this balance, Flora Free has both high antimicrobial activity, product safety and low skin irritation. Therefore, it addresses the core disadvantages of the current products such as alcohol, chlorohexidine, Triclosan and PCMX.”
- Surface Disinfectants and label claims: Realistically can contact times be met to achieve antimicrobial efficacy? (195 KB)
- Navid Omidbakhsh, B.Sc
The objective of this study was to determine the efficacy of several different disinfectant chemistries against common pathogens using a realistic contact time for each chemistry based on its evaporation rate and compare the results to the efficacy claims listed on the product labels.
Excerpt:“The results showed that it is not possible in practice to meet the required contact time for slow acting disinfecting products, and the products with no gap or less gap between their claimed contact time, and drying time have a significantly better chance of achieving their required level of decontamination.”
- Assessment of Accelerated Hydrogen Peroxide for Sanitizing Carpet (137 KB)
- Daniel Price and Brandi Morris
Excerpt:“The accelerated hydrogen peroxide product along with vacuum extraction effectively removed or inactivated the accumulated biocontaminants. In the laboratory controlled studies against known antibiotic strains the Johnson Diversey Alpha HP product produced 2 to 3 log reductions of the initial bacterial inoculum following a 15 minute dwell time....These products not only clean the surface for aesthetics but also can make the carpet more hygienic by effectively killing or removing biocontaminants.”
- The Oxivir Tb Formulation of Accelerated Hydrogen Peroxide (AHP) is Effective for Killing Clostridium difficile spores on Toilet Seat Surfaces (240 KB)
- K. Manickam (Diagnostic Services of Manitoba), N. Olson (St. Boniface Research Centre), M. Alfa (Diagnostic Services of Manitoba, St. Boniface Research Centre, Dept of Medical Microbiology, U of Manitoba)
Excerpt:“Oxivir Tb provides a useful alternative to bleach for surface killing of C. difficile spores providing good physical cleaning is also used.”
- Effects of an Environmental Services Professional Training Course and Cleaning Products on the Rates of Infection Seen at Suburban Hospital (147 KB)
- Rita Smith, MSN, RN, CIC (Suburban Hospital), Renee Dufault, BS, MAT, CHSP (FDA), Cynthia A. Harris, MS, RN (FDA), Michael Williams, BS (Surburban Hospital)
Excerpt:“There was an average decrease of 10.1%, and a statistically significant reduction in antibiotic use rate for the post-training and Oxivir Tb/Carpe Diem Tb AHP period.”
- A New Peroxide-Based Fast Acting Surface Sporocide (167 KB)
- N. Omidbakhsh, B.Sc, Virox Technologies Inc.
Excerpt:“Accel C.diff Gel is a 4.5% Accelerated Hydrogen Peroxide formulation for disinfection of hard, non-porous surfaces such as toilet bowls, sinks and commodes. Accel C.diff Gel has proven Bactericidal, Fungicidal and Virucidal efficacy in 1-minute and Sporicidal efficacy in 10-minutes”